Thursday, May 23, 2013

Life-Changing Sandals

No, I am NOT talking about my addiction to shoes. Neither about that rare pair of shoes that DOESN'T hurt my sensitive feet (although they WOULD be life-changing to me).

I am talking about the Massaï Project of the Spanish brand Pikolinos. For the last 2 years, this company has been contributing to the development of the activity of around 1.400 families through the remuneration of Masaï Mara women making the shoes in Kenya.

OK, I agree, you have to have a little bit of Pocahontas aspirations to actually wear them. I guess I would only wear them if they are delivered by some strong Masaï Mara men ;-)

That being said, I love the idea of succesful companies in the West investing in smaller communities and benefiting from their craftmenship. I only hope that this is a longer term investment that they are making, because if these women only can earn for a year or two, what will the impact on their families and community be in the longer run?

Ok, Sara, stop thinking, just enjoy that yet one more project is florishing in Mama Africa.



No comments: